Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Introduce yourself...

This section is for anything about the Outer Hebrides that you may wish to discuss.
Curracag Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Introduce yourself...

Post by Curracag Admin » 09 Apr 2012, 20:58

Don't be shy!

Feel free to reply and tell us a little about yourself - what your interests are that sort of thing :)
For more information about Curracag visit the Curracag Website
also of interest: Outer Hebrides Biological Recording Project

YvonneB

Re: Introduce yourself...

Post by YvonneB » 09 Apr 2012, 21:22

Hi all, i'm Yvonne and have lived in the Western Isles since 2001 when i moved to Lewis. I spent a few years away from the islands, travelling the world, birding and working at various bird observatories, and returned in 2010 to live in South Uist with my husband.

I've always been interested in natural history since i was a child - my main interest is birding and ringing - i ringed my first bird in 2004 in Lewis and progressed to my A permit in 2008. In early 2010 i received a Robinson moth trap for my birthday and haven't looked back - find mothing fascinating, there's so much to learn.

I'm also a keen photographer :)

Buzzard

Diamond-back Moth (Plutella xylostella)

virtualheb

Post by virtualheb » 04 May 2012, 08:15

Hi Yvonne and all who are reading or joining

Glad to meet you Yvonne and I see from your two photos of the buzzard and the moth that you are skilled with the camera. I am a novice and learning all the time, both about photography and the wildlife and flora and fauna here on the islands. We moved to the Islands about four years ago, being initially near Stornoway, now since September last year bought a home in Balallan, Harris end of the village, and just love the Islands. I have liased on several occasions with various persons as to assistance with identification of birds, butterflies, insects and flowers and note that some of these are taking part in this forum, which is nice

I have a website which is really just a hobby of mine, initially created to show friends and relatives the terrain up here and the lovely scenery, but its grown to encompass flowers, birds, history and all sorts.

http://www.virtualheb.co.uk

I am certain that this forum will be a great success and look forward to the future entries

Christine

Curracag Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Curracag Admin » 04 May 2012, 17:32

Welcome to the forum Christine! We look forward to your contributions :)

You have some lovely photographs on your own website too.

Ashley_Jackson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Ashley_Jackson » 13 Jun 2012, 16:14

Hi folks,

I'm Ashley from Nottinghamshire. I'm interested in all things Natural History related however birds are my main interest & I've been interested in them for as long as I can remember (almost all of my 40 years - I still own all my "Observers book of..." and "Ladybird book of...." wildlife titles that I had when I was about 5 years old! )

I've been visiting Scotland for about the last ten years and usually take a couple of trips up there each year, for the last 6 years or so I've concentrated my visits on the inner / outer Hebrides and have now had the pleasure of visiting most of the islands.

I enjoy photography and I'm a member of the BTO, I'm a member of their Nest Record Scheme and also a 'T' Permit ringer. I'm keen to be an active member of Curracag and establish new contacts on the islands & I'm hoping to one day have a book published on the breeding birds of the hebridean islands. I've had some of my photographs published in the recent BTO "Field Guide to Monitoring Nests" book & "Breeding Birds of the Western Palearctic: Nests, Eggs, Nestlings, Fledglings and Habitats" DVD.

....I got back from a week on North Uist at the weekend, including a couple of nights camped out on the Monach Isles - superb! :D

Ashley

YvonneB

Post by YvonneB » 13 Jun 2012, 21:13

Hi Ashley

Thanks for telling us a little about yourself - i always find it interesting to hear about what the other forum members are interested in :)

deborahinuist

Post by deborahinuist » 18 Nov 2012, 20:09

Hello, I am Deborah MacVicar. I live in Benbecula, and have been here for 20 years now.
We moved over from the Isle of Mull, where I had lived since I was 13.
I am an arist.
My work is always based on my experience of being out in the Landscape.
I produce photos, prints, paintings, short films, and performances in the landscape.
As I was growing up, my parents bought me some butterfly and moth eggs, which I hand reared. This taught me so much, and I have passed this on to various school in workshops.
I am very keen on all wildlife, plants and birds, and hope to volunteer in various groups.
scotsman.jpg

Curracag Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Curracag Admin » 18 Nov 2012, 20:37

Hi Deborah and welcome to the forum!

We look forward to your contributions

Great photo by the way :-)

Gareth C

Post by Gareth C » 05 May 2014, 23:30

Hello, I'm Gareth & I live in Chawley, a very small hamlet in west Oxfordshire, rather a long way from these beautiful islands, you may think. Well like other members, I too have had an interest in all aspects of nature since the late 60's but its my passion for ornithology that's always been a priority. I first came to the Western Isles back in May 1997, a tricky week to find accommodation as an important wedding was taking place on North Uist, that week, some of you might remember. It also wasn't the best week for the Skua passage, as we suffered ENE's all week so I vowed to return.
I'd read an article about the Islands in a magazine, which first captured my imagination, although my return wasn't again until 2007, also in May. I Returned once more in September later that year with my partner Bonnie, for a slightly different look at the Hebrides. We've now made several visits with our next one being imminent. I find there's always so much anticipation prior to a trip, or perhaps I'm just an optimist. Anyhow, as I've discovered there's an auful lot more to the Hebrides than just migrating Skuas.

Some friends & colleagues think that the journey's far too long to undertake in one go but I've always tried to compare sitting in a warm, comfortable car with food & drink to hand, compared to the vast distances carried out by the migrating birds, battling against the elements, that we're hopefully going to see.

By the way, I think its a great website & I love the daily updates I receive, keeping us so well informed.

Gareth Clare.

Curracag Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Curracag Admin » 10 May 2014, 11:51

Welcome to the forum Gareth and hope you have a great holiday - we look forward to hearing about it via the forum!