Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Spring Squill

Discuss the wonderful plant life of the Outer Hebrides here
virtualheb

Spring Squill

Post by virtualheb » 27 May 2012, 16:06

I took two pictures today at Mealista - Lewis - of two flowers that I thought were both spring squill, the specimens, were actually quite a way from each other, and when I got back home I note that the purple/lilac one - is what I imagine to be Scilla subspecies verna - that is native to the Western Isles. The other one is slighly different - a blue one which seems to have slightly different petals, I looked on the net and have seen a blue one exists called Scilla bifolia. Can anyone tell me are these two flowers the same species, just different colours (the Scilla verna) or are they each a different sub species? Apologies that the pictures arent as good as they should be - my photographic skills need improving!

Chris
http://www.virtualheb.co.uk
blue-spring-squill-mealista-isle-of-lewis.jpg
Blue Spring Squill
purple-spring-squill.jpg
Purple Spring Squill

Paul Smith
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Spring Squill

Post by Paul Smith » 31 May 2012, 23:22

Hi Chris,

I think they're both Scilla verna. The colour varies a bit (and depends on how fresh the flowers are), but the best diagnostic character seems to be the bracts - missing or minute in S. bifolia, 5-15mm in S. verna. Unfortunately they're under the flower head, so you can't see from the photos. S. bifolia is also an introduced species, so I'd be surprised if it had got to Mealasta by itself!

paul

virtualheb

Re: Spring Squill

Post by virtualheb » 01 Jun 2012, 07:37

Hi Paul

Many thanks, I hadnt seen documented that the bifolia was an introduced species, (probably wasnt looking in right places) - so many thanks for the assistance