Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Identification - violet - common dog - heath or marsh

Discuss the wonderful plant life of the Outer Hebrides here
virtualheb

Identification - violet - common dog - heath or marsh

Post by virtualheb » 28 May 2012, 17:57

Could anyone assist please with identification. These violets were up near mealista on the cliff top moorland, they were in a quite a damp place, I am struggling to tell which violets they are.

I have read that if its a common dog violet it would have a "vertical root" and a basal rosette - whilst heath dog violets dont develop root stock

Common dog violets leaves are wider than that of the heath violet and of course marsh violets really like damp ground

After reading this, I am still confused - I guess maybe its not a marsh one as it wasnt wet enough maybe - but since the leaves arent all that broad - could it be a heath one??

Any help appreciated

Chris
virtualheb
violet-common-dog-marsh-or-heath.jpg
Violet - Common Dog - Heath or Marsh

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Identification - violet - common dog - heath or marsh

Post by MisterT » 30 May 2012, 18:28

Hi there,

While I am no expert in these matters, perhaps I can give you some pointers to look for if you find more violets.

Marsh Violet (Viola palustris) has kidney shaped (rounded) leaves and has short spurred bracts at or below the middle of the stalk.

Common Dog Violet (Viola riviniana) have leaves that grow in a tuft (basal rosette) and have heart shaped, normally toothed stipples.

Heath Dog Violet (Viola canina) is the least common. The flowers are normally bluer than the previous 2 species and has a yellow or whitish spur. It also has pointed sepals and short spurred bracts at or below the middle of the stalk. If you think it to be this, the spur should be noticable eminating from the rear of the flower.

Looking at your photograph, I would not like to hazard a guess as to what you have found but the flower does look like Viola canina.

Hope this helps and if I’m off track, then I’m sure someone will correct me.

virtualheb

Re: Identification - violet - common dog - heath or marsh

Post by virtualheb » 31 May 2012, 08:48

Many thanks for your response - I will use the points you listed and make closer scrutinies of the leaves, bracts and flowers - many thanks