Please note: Following a decision by the Curracag Committee to streamline their online presence an announcement was made at the AGM on 8th February 2017 that this forum will be closing. The date of closure will be the 28th February. All discussion will now take place on the Curracag Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/curracag

If you are particularly interested in birds, in light of the Curracag decision, Outer Hebrides Birds has totally re-vamped their website and will now contain details of sightings, photographs, discussion and a number of resources for birds and birding in the Outer Hebrides. Please head to Outer Hebrides Birds where sign up/registration for users is open. As well as sign up using traditional methods OHB also have the facility for you to sign up/sign in using your Facebook or Twitter account.

Wasp & Fly

If your interest is bees, dragonflies, beetles, ants or indeed any other type of insect chat about them, ask questions and share your images here.
Paul
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Wasp & Fly

Post by Paul » 13 Jul 2013, 15:50

Today's queries-
I think the wasp is a mason wasp adynerus spinipes
& the fly is anthomyia procellaris.
Can someone confirm these please.
Paul
anthomyia.jpg
mason wasp.jpg

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Re: Wasp & Fly

Post by chrisjohnson » 14 Jul 2013, 07:48

Hi Paul

The mason wasp is Ancistrocerus scoticus. Adynerus spinipes is a southern species only just getting into southern Scotland and has yellow abdominal bands.

Chris

Paul
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Paul » 14 Jul 2013, 09:15

Thanks for that Chris - I wasn't certain.

MisterT
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by MisterT » 14 Jul 2013, 21:28

Interested to see the image of the wasp that Paul posted as I caught a wasp the same day that Bill identified as Ancistrocerus scoticus. There are differences between the 2 specimens as mine has no white/yellow on the face, no band around the neck and two less bands on the abdomen. I am guessing that this is a highly variable species.

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by chrisjohnson » 15 Jul 2013, 09:36

They are variable and we have two very similar species here. Ancistrocerus scoticus and Ancistrocerus oviventris. One of the main identification features of Ancistrocerus oviventris is the clypeus is black. Paul's image isn't too clear but I take the yellow colour at the front to be the clypeus.

Chris

Bill
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Bill » 15 Jul 2013, 20:51

It looks as if the leg colour is going to be useful on the separation of scoticus and oviventris, but the main guide I use came from Murdo Macdonald and is 3-4 bands scoticus 5-6 bands oviventris.
That is of course until someone finds a new one for the Outer Hebrides !
Cheers

Bill

Paul
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Paul » 16 Jul 2013, 08:48

Does this mean mine is oviventris?
Paul

Bill
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by Bill » 17 Jul 2013, 09:09

Yes Paul, yours is oviventris.
In Natural Handbooks 3 Solitary wasps it has a slightly modified version of Murdo's definition "Light bands on dorsal plates 3 or 4 , a potion of a 5th sometimes present" for A.scoticus.
Sorry Chris !
Ian's is A. scoticus

chrisjohnson
Curracag Member
Curracag Member

Post by chrisjohnson » 17 Jul 2013, 10:25

That's ok Bill, it means mine is also wrong on the website. I had obviously overlooked the relevant couplet in 'Naturalists' Handbooks 3 Solitary Wasps '.

Chris